Re: (fqdn) hostname resolution when using DHCP

Salman Ahmed writes:
> What should I add to this file so I can ping from the machine itself by
> giving its fqdn hostname ?

127.0.0.1 matrix.<domain-name> matrix localhost.

With this line any process on the machine can reach the machine itself via
the fqdn, the hostname, or just 'localhost'.

Phil Brutsche writes:
> Having matrix mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts isn't a good thing.

Why?

>  It should look like this:
> 192.168.9.31 matrix.<domain-name> matrix

What use is such a line other than for reverse lookups?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)