Re: dselect+apt -- how to clear cache?

John Carline <jtc@stic.net> writes:

> > I've made some bad move while using dselect one day, and now I have 40
> > packages triggered for removal. 8-( Oh horror!
> Not so horrible, haven't we all done that?
>
> Have you tried to return to the "Select" menu and toggle all those
> files to install (+) rather than remove (-). Then try "Install"
> again. It worked for me when I did the same thing ;-)

Yes, I did that. However, when I select "Install", I still get the
same thing:

,----[ This is what I see when selecting Install ]
| The following packages will be REMOVED:
|   netscape-base-4 libmd5-perl libcurses-perl debhelper nosql
|   libcompress-zlib-perl libtime-hires-perl libdelimmatch-perl perl debmake
|   libhtml-parser-perl sysutils libterm-readkey-perl procmail-lib dupload
|   navigator-smotif-45 netscape-base-45 dftp cvs-buildpackage perl-suid
|   libio-stringy-perl devscripts pkg-order signify liblockdev0-perl dpkg-dev
|   quake2 netscape-java-45 perlmenu navigator-base-45 dpkg-ftp libnet-perl
|   libmime-base64-perl dpkg-repack xaw-wrappers debsums alias alien
| 14 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 38 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
| 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
| Need to get 4745kB/11.3MB of archives. After unpacking 25.6MB will be freed.
| Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
`----

I now choose "n", and then return into "Select" and search for the
above package names:

,----[ Cut an paste stuff from Dselect package listing ]
| *** Opt contrib/ netscape-bas 4.61-15.1   5           Popular World-Wide-Web br
| *** Opt interpre libmd5-perl  1.7-1       1.7-1       MD5 Message Digest for Pe
| [... and so on for all of the above packages ...]
`----

Well, you get the idea: all packages show with
"installed; install (was: install)" flags, but nevertheless are rigged
for *removal* when I chose "Install" command.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. I tried
looking in various /var directories, hoping to find some cache file
for dselect or apt, but alas...

--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who