Re: Thinkpad 365x

I wrote:
> I've tryed the normal resc1440, and also the tecra, safe and tecra safe
> version, and all of these failed. and i also tryed many option of the
> kernel, as floppy=thinkpad, hd=C,h,s, etc.. but all af these failed and the > computer hang directly after reading the kernel from the disk and trying to
> start it.
> Then i tryed to use the same rebuilded kernel i use on my computer, this > was 2.0.36, so i did copy my vmlinux-2.0.36 as linux on my rescue disk, but
> i had the same result as before.
> After all this, debian 2.1 r4 has been out, and i did rebuild the 2.0.38 > source, and then after copying it to my boot disk, the laptop booted, that's > better than before, but i don't understand why it worked now, since i used
> the same option in my 2.0.38, is it a bug in the 2.0.36?
Carl Fink wrote:
I suspect bad floppy disks, a problem I've had with a past Debian
installation.  If you have the thing working with DOS or Windows or
OS/2, you could test this by downloading the files directly to its
hard drive and using a LOADLIN install.

it can't be floppy disk, as i used the same floppy all along just replacing the linux kernel inside

> So now it boot but i've got another problem, the kernel detect a toshiba > ide drive that is of another capacity and if i try to force my chs by using > hd=1575,16,63 it still detect the wrong chs and tell me it's a toshiba, not
> the ibm, what can i do?

On my ThinkPad 755, the installer detects a Toshiba drive, but with
the correct capacity.  Are you sure it's wrong?  Maybe your other OS
is using only part of the capacity?  Have you checked the
Hardware-HOWTO?

my drive is currently without any partition, but i'll read the hardware howto

thanks, David Orban