Re: oracle 8.0.5 and glibc2.1 segfaults

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 19:47, Robert Varga wrote:
>
> > Due to the problem b: it did not build anything, but make my binaries
> > vanish (got renamed). After I set these to point to /usr/bin/gcc272 and
> > /usr/bin/ld I got only messages for error a:, however the binaries built
> > segfaulted again. Did not even try to install the db files and run
> > root.sh.
>
> Please note I did not try this myself, I am sticking to slink until
> potato is released as stable.  Your experience and a closer look at
> the instructions I referred to prove that this patch was a poor bet.

No poor bet. Only you probably did not read the beginning of the
instructions mentioning to put up four compatibility packages. It of
course contains the glibc2.0.7 libraries in the same way as the libc5
package. The only problem is that there is no similar in debian.

> The problem is of course the relinking of binaries to glibc-2.0 on
> potato.  This seems impossible.  There is a way to install Oracle
> without relinking, IIRC.  I think it has something to with OPS.

Is there no glibc2.0 oldlib somewhere to use?

> I sure hope 8i runs on potato.  Can anybody confirm this?

It should. It needs glibc2.1 and kernel 2.2 (and a lot of memory).
I saw it running on redhat. It was packaged or installed (I don't know how
it came up on that machine) very amateurly. It did not even contain the
jdbc driver in the java classpath.

Regards,

Robert