Upgrading slinkr1 --> r4

Hi,

I'd really like to upgrade but not with apt-get and my 33.6-Modem.
Therefore I downloaded all packages mentioned in
"ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/ChangeLog"; at the local
Universitiy. (I simply "grepped" all lines starting with "dists" --
please tell me if this is not enough!)
Now I have all the packages on my disk but when I put the tree into
/etc/apt/sources.list and do an "apt-get update" it complains about
missing Packages.gz files.
I tried to put these files together but wasn't very succesfull as there
doesn't seem to be much documentation on this. (My approach was to put
the output of "dpkg --info" executed in a for loop over all packages in
one file, but that didn't work :-( )
Please help me if there is an easy to build Packages.gz files or give me
a pointer to some usable information.

Thanks in advance

- Konrad Mierendorff