Re: timeout with telnet or ftp

that tends to happen a lot with machines with a broken DNS configuration,
install a DNS and/or try commenting out the lines in
/etc/hosts.deny.  It's best to install a DNS and not rely on another
incase that other is not reachable it will take a while to 'time
out'.  most services try to reverse lookup the addresses that connect to
see if they are spoofing(not that most daemons do anything about it if
they are)

nate