Re: [Solved] PA-2013, K6-2 and AGP TNT2: Windoze runs, but Linux crashes

Just from a flip side:

I am not so sure that this sounds like the chipset.. I don't know exactly
what you
have compiled in the kernel, but here are my experiences FYI. So this
doesn't really matter much since you things are working..

I've never had any problem with the via chipset on the PA-2013(and not even
that
crappy PA-2012) with linux, except with the experimental VIA chipsets
drivers which played around with my harddisk and did not so nice this(that
was about 2.2.0x).  I had been running 2.0.13 with the DMA disabled because
my CDROM did not care for it without
PCI quirks.  Since I've upgraded my CD-ROM to a DMA friendly CD, I've have
even been running with DMA enabled by default.

My CPU is only a 300 mhz.  If I recall.  some revisions of the PA-2013
couldn't
properly handle faster CPUs.. or at least K6-III's. I generally run the
latest
BIOS on a PCB version 1.2 mobo.

I will say this. I don't regualrly transfer gigs of data around from
harddisk to harddisk.  So I would be inclined to agree with the quote
portion below.
[snip]
> > Strange thing that I found a couple of messages blaming PA-2013, and
> > people switch to Tyan, and it seemed to help, despite the fact that
> > both motherboards carry exactly the same VIA chipset.
> >
> > It smells like bad motherboard.
[snip]

Philip Thiem