[Solved] PA-2013, K6-2 and AGP TNT2: Windoze runs, but Linux crashes

Hi,

Just want to share my experience.  Loading Linux 2.0.36 from windows
(loadlin) worked for me.  No crashes on hard loads (8 hours of
continuous kernel copilation + gzip/gunzip of 0.5Gb file + data
transfer over the net).

I'm quite certain that the problem is in initialization of VIA chipset,
especially it's IDE part.  I read quite a few mails where people had
troubles with FIC or more generally VIA chipset, it looks like there is
some trick in initialization of IDE, which VIA kindly keeps in secret,
and provides only in win98 patch.

Just for reference things that I tried and they FAILED.  BUT I must say
that they helped quite a few people to solve there hardware problems.

BIOS (award):
Turning off CPU - PCI cache
Disabling UDMA mode
Forcing PIO mode0

Kernel:
2.2.13 + PCI quirks
2.2.13 + recent IDE patch (includes big routine for VIA chipset)

hdparm:
turning off DMA (makes Linux lifetime longer, but it would still fail)
hdparm -X34 -d1  (Linux fails right away)

IBM disk ATA33 utility (make disk report UDMA33 - rather than UDMA66)