Re: MTA

peter karlsson said:
> I'll be moving and will lose my direct Internet connection, and will have to
> resort to dial-up. To prepare for this, I am switching over to doing mail
> and news offline (slrnpull, fetchmail), but I need some ideas on what to use
> for outgoing mail. I've had sendmail die on me when I'm not connected to a
> network (not in Debian, though, haven't tried sendmail in Debian), so I
> wonder what the best setup is for outgoing mail when it is only to send mail
> when I connect to the ISP (and directly when I do that, preferrably without
> manual intervention).

I use exim and diald.  They handle mail for me without any problems, although
exim (by default, at least) wants to send out all mail immediately.  I'm sure
you can change that so it only tries to send when the link is already up, but
I like it the way it is.  (When mail is sent, exim tries to pass it on, which
causes diald to bring the link up.  exim sends, fetchmail pulls incoming
mail, and the link goes back down, usually in less than a minute.  If the
link can't be brought up right away, exim keeps trying until it can.)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+