Re: Installing Debian-2.1 on a Compaq DeskPro EN Series Workstation

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

>     NDR>  I have a number of Compaq Deskpro EN's and EP's. Everything
>     NDR> works fine except for one major problem: about 1 out of 3 times
>     NDR> I boot the keyboard will go completely dead (you can still
>     NDR> logon through the network however).
>
> Does this also happen when you boot NT workstation ? So far, I have
> (re)booted my DeskPro EN system a number of times and the keyboard (and
> other HW) has been fine.

Nope, Windows NT/9X runs fine :-(.  I had this problem with a lot of Compaqs
(actualy all of the "new-model" EN en EP's that I have.)  Note however: I bought
my last Compaq somewhere around June I think, so perhaps it has been solved
in newer models.

Note2: that Compaq I installed last week (running kernel 2.2.13) still runs fine
so I guess that solves it too.

>     NDR>
>     NDR> Personaly I wouldn't go for Compaq.
>
> Neither would I. I prefer either a PC clone with components individually
> spec-ed out, or one of the newer Dell systems. But, frankly, I'll take
> whatever I can get to run Debian on ;)

My users started complaining that there are no old systems available anymore.
We used to sell the old systems, however now I'm turning all of them into servers
running Debian >-)

Nico

> --
> Salman Ahmed
> ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com
>

> --

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com