Re: Can one keep networks apart on a machine?

In <[🔎] s85e0755.070@SPIDY>, on 12/20/99
   at 10:38 AM, "Marc Mongeon" <Mongeon@bankoe.com> said:

>You shouldn't have any problem doing per-adapter setup under NT. The biggest
>issue I can think of is routing, since NT wants to do all of that
>automatically, but I think with appropriate choice of IP address and
>netmask, you can make it work OK.

I'll bear that in mind.  Thanks!

>I kind of like the suggestion from a previous post that this ignorant net
>admin of yours be brought to task over his administrative decisions. Isn't
>his job ultimately to provide a network infrastructure that makes end-users
>more productive?  Seems to me that his draconic "nothing but NT" stance runs
>counter to this.  And this at an institute for higher learning and
>enlightened thinking... what a shame.

Well, I _am_ the original "instigator" of the bias, as I inadvertently
brought the system to its knees with a kernel upgrade.  I can't (and don't
try to) back out of that responsibility.

But I still feel that the problems they had tracking down Me as the culprit
of the packet broadcasting issue indicates a flaw in their
abilities/available tools to manage serious problems.  There was no general
communication about the problem with the general college community at all,
and I can't help but feel that I could have quickly isolated the problem (at
least) by sequentially chopping off various parts of the LAN from one another
(were I in his shoes).  (And Linux worked so WELL in the system, too.  Damn.)

I shudder to think what would happen if a serious hacker went into the
system.  (A local fellow was crackling at the sides as he told me about the
state of their firewall.  But they may have tidied it up a bit since then.)

But I may be all wet about that (I know nothing about LAN
management/setup/etc).

Kenward
Dr. Kenward Vaughan                       .'^~;,_
Professor of Chemistry                    ':,'~~~~~
Bakersfield College                       \;:/
1801 Panorama Drive                       |,;|
Bakersfield, CA  93305                   / ', \
661-395-4243                            / o  O \
kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us  (work)           (oOoOOoOo)
kaynjay@igalaxy.net   (home)         ---========---