Re: cannot open '/dev/lp0' - 'No such device'

there are 2 config options in 2.2.x for parallel port/printers. 1 is for
the parallel port itself, and the other is for parallel printers, both
must be turned on in order for printing to work.  the parallel printer
option is in the character device section in kernel config.

always the best way to test a printer first, is to bypass any/all spoolers
and print direct to the port, it works on most printers .. just echo "test
blah blah" >/dev/lp0 or cat filename >/dev/lp0 (you probably have to be
root to do this)

if your using a packaged kernel(not compiled by you) im not sure what to
suggest other then compile your own, i've never used a packaged kernel for
longer then it took to compile a new one.

check the archives, those files do have info in them, see this post
recently by me to another person that had a similar problem:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9912/msg00699.html

nate