Re: Useless (broken?) IDE HD

Let the drive sit, for a few days, maybe a week and write down all you
want to recover off of it ..

(hard to believe but it works!)

then power it up, and see if it works, one of my servers suffered a root
drive failure(after 3 years! on a 720MB ide drive..) the system ran
despite the hdd failure(no new processes would spawn) for about 2 weeks
then it went dead.  it sat there powered down for another 2 weeks, and we
powered it up and BANG it booted.  i then powered it off again to change
drives, and then i needed something off of it and tried to power it up
agian and it was a no go.

write down what you want off that drive so you can copy it as quickly as
you can, i reccomend putting that drive on a second controler of another
system so it doesnt have to go through the pains of booting a kernel and
fast as you can ..and hopefully you get it.  don't try to copy the whole
disk it would probably put too mcuh stress on the drive and it would die
again.

of course this may not work, but there is a good chance it will, let the
drive rest some first though

nate