compiling from debian source package

Hello:

I want to recompile several Debian source packages with pgcc.  What do I
edit within the debian source tree to change which compiler the build
uses, and also which CFLAGS it uses?

Is this something that is package specific?

For starters, I am recompiling the xfree86 package.  How do I make sure
it uses the compiler and compiler flags I want it to when it builds?  I
probed around some random files within the source tree, but can't find
out where it sets the compiler and compiler flags.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@ews.uiuc.edu