RE: compiling from debian source package

On 20-Dec-1999 Matt Garman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I want to recompile several Debian source packages with pgcc.  What do I
> edit within the debian source tree to change which compiler the build
> uses, and also which CFLAGS it uses?
>
> Is this something that is package specific?
>
> For starters, I am recompiling the xfree86 package.  How do I make sure
> it uses the compiler and compiler flags I want it to when it builds?  I
> probed around some random files within the source tree, but can't find
> out where it sets the compiler and compiler flags.

Compiling Xfree w/ pgcc results in two things: a waste of time and a possibly
broken binary.  SuSE tells customers who report bugs against X compiled with
pgcc to recompile before they will look at the problem.

pgcc is known to cause broken code at times.  It is not trustworthy, which is
why Debian chose not to use it.  You will find that using gcc w/ machine
specific options more useful.

Also note that CPU opts do not help X much, it is not horribly CPU bound for
most things.