custom colors for 'ls'

I've set the folowing alias up,

l="ls --color=always -alF"

I like the coloration except my executables are in a light green color
and I can barely see them.  I looked a the 'ls' man page specifically
the, "DISPLAY COLORIZATION" section.  It says you can use "LS_COLORS" to
change a default color.  Anyway the instructions are vague or I'm just
not getting it.  I thought something like this from the command line
might work,

ls -alF --color LS_COLORS "ex=36"

but that didn't work.  It seems like maybe <LS_COLORS "ex=36"> should go
in a file or something that 'ls' would read.  I just don't know.  Anyone
know how to do this?
Thanks,
kent