Re: custom colors for 'ls'

I set up colors using the following lines. in my .bashrc or .bash_profile

alias ls="ls --color=auto"
eval `dircolors ~/.dircolors`

and I've attached my .dircolors

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu

ktb wrote:

> I've set the folowing alias up,
>
> l="ls --color=always -alF"
>
> I like the coloration except my executables are in a light green color
> and I can barely see them.  I looked a the 'ls' man page specifically
> the, "DISPLAY COLORIZATION" section.  It says you can use "LS_COLORS" to
> change a default color.  Anyway the instructions are vague or I'm just
> not getting it.  I thought something like this from the command line
> might work,
>
> ls -alF --color LS_COLORS "ex=36"
>
> but that didn't work.  It seems like maybe <LS_COLORS "ex=36"> should go
> in a file or something that 'ls' would read.  I just don't know.  Anyone
> know how to do this?
> Thanks,
> kent
>
> --
# Configuration file for dircolors, a utility to help you set the
# LS_COLORS environment variable used by GNU ls with the --color option.

# The keywords COLOR, OPTIONS, and EIGHTBIT (honored by the
# slackware version of dircolors) are recognized but ignored.

# Below, there should be one TERM entry for each termtype that is colorizable
TERM linux
TERM linux-c
TERM console
TERM con132x25
TERM con132x30
TERM con132x43
TERM con132x60
TERM con80x25
TERM con80x28
TERM con80x30
TERM con80x43
TERM con80x50
TERM con80x60
TERM xterm
TERM xterm-debian
TERM rxvt
TERM screen
TERM vt100
TERM ansi

# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color init
# string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
# Attribute codes:
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
# Text color codes:
# 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
# Background color codes:
# 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white
NORMAL 00       # global default, although everything should be something.
FILE 00         # normal file
DIR 01;33       # directory
LINK 01;04;36   # symbolic link
FIFO 40;33      # pipe
SOCK 01;35      # socket
BLK 30;43;01    # block device driver
CHR 30;43;01    # character device driver
ORPHAN 47;31;05 # symlink to nonexistent file

# This is for files with execute permission:
EXEC 01;32

# List any file extensions like '.gz' or '.tar' that you would like ls
# to colorize below. Put the extension, a space, and the color init string.
# (and any comments you want to add after a '#')

# If you use DOS-style suffixes, you may want to uncomment the following:
.cmd    00;32    # executables (dim green)
.exe    00;32
.com    00;32
.btm    00;32
.bat    00;32

.tar    00;31    # archives or compressed (red)
.tgz    00;31
.arj    00;31
.taz    00;31
.lzh    00;31
.zip    00;31
.z      00;31
.Z      00;31
.gz     00;31
.GZ     00;31
.deb    01;31    # rpms or debs (bright red)
.rpm    01;31
.bin    00;41;30
.iso    00;41;30
.jpg    01;35    # image formats (magenta)
.gif    01;35
.GIF    01;05;35 #capitalized extensions blink so I fix them
.bmp    01;35
.ppm    01;35
.tga    01;35
.xbm    01;35
.xpm    01;35
.tif    01;35
.pdf    01;35
.mpg    01;35    #movies
.avi    01;35
.mov    01;35
.gl     01;37
.dl     01;37
.mp3    01;34    #sounds
.MP3    01;05;34
.wav    01;34
.html   00;44;33 #webpages and html, (blue on yellow)
.cgi    00;44;33
.asp    00;44;33
.conf   01;36    #config files are cyan
.cfg    01;36
.config 01;36
.*rc    01;36
*rc     01;36
.so     00;46;30 #libraries are black on cyan
*.so.*   00;46;30
*.so.*.* 00;46;30
*.so.*.*.* 00;46;30