Re: Using 3com modem Independent Mode (without Windows)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Alberto Bigazzi wrote:

> Thanks everybody for your answers.
>
> The end of it is that now I know that there exist at least two programs,
> "KMsgModem" and "mepl" (see also www.freshmeat.net),
> and some hack to get my 3Com modem use Independent mode under Linux.
>
> Being the 'technical' issue now solved, I've been left with some
> doubts about their (3Com) policy, and about their view of "customer
> satisfaction".
>

> What follow are just some comments that might be inappropriate
> to post in this 'technical' mailing list. I apologise to you if
> that would be the case. Or just skip them.

Talked with the two major computer shops in town this week. Both of them
stopped carrying 3com/USR products due to the support issues, and one (the
one I purchased my Sportster from secondhand) appears to have a policy of
reccomending another brand of modem if a customer asks about ordering a
USR modem.

Oh, and I recently was able to `borrow' a windows 98 machine. I pointed
3com's update wizzard at my Linux machine through a null-modem cable and
scripted a modem emulator together that allowed me to download a windows
executable containing the firmware update. Unfortunately I had been
getting serial overruns during the `modem update' and have not been able
to obtain an uncorrupted image file. BTW, minicom and expect work great on
it, and I know it is possible (in fact easy) to update the modem from any
OS, provided 3com would admit to it and offer the firmware image for
download.

The only reason I can think of for them not to offer the image for
download under a `free' or UNIX OS is that they SELL a firmware upgrade
for their 33.6 modems that bring them up to v.90, and I'd bet my Sparc
that it's the exact same binary image as the one I need, or close enough
not to matter.

I'm beginning to grow an idea, assuming that enough of us who have
actually considered or use a 3com/USR product write a letter to the
company asking for support and explaining why they would lose our business
if they don't provide the support. If we want to do so, probably we should
develop a boilerplate letter to use that would be politely and firmly
worded. I also suggest if we're going to do something like this we should
take it off the list, maybe set up a temporary list for the traffic or
something.

Perhaps then they'll listen.

-- Ferret no baka

PS:

I used to reccomend USR to everyone who asked me. AFAICT they went
downhill only after their acquisition by 3com.