Re: cannot run pgps in a cgi script under apache

Ethan Benson [erbenson@alaska.net] wrote:
> On 17/12/99 Shao Zhang wrote:
>
> >	I have no other choice. I need it to read the shadow passwd. It
> >	is only accessible within a private network and all traffic is
> >	SSL encrypted. So I guess it is pretty secure.
>
> well reading shadow password files from apache is bad anyway (i
> assume for htaccess?) since it allows very fast and mostly

	it is not for htaccess. It is mainly used for setting up acounts
	which invovles writing as well.

> unstoppable password cracking efforts on your system password files,
> you might as well just unshadow the passwords since any additional
> protection offered by shadow passwords is completely undone by
> letting apache read them.

	True. But it is still only readable to root which means apache
	as well. Again, apache is sitting in our private network. A
	machine with good security should be that, given the root
	passwd of that machine, it is still uncrackable.

	Again, I know this is a security hole. But in this case, I
	really need it, and which is why apache src offers a
	configuration option to allow run as root.

Cheers,

Shao.

Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Email: shao@cia.com.au                                                  |___/