Re: Install by FTP ?

DAVID BALAZIC <david.balazic@uni-mb.si> writes:

> Is it  possible to install Debian for i386 over FTP ?
>
> Like : I have a PC with an empty disk and a network card, connected
> to internet over LAN ( let's say it is a 3com 509 eth0 card ).
> I wan't to download a boot-floppy image , copy it to a floppy,
> boot from it , set up the network , select an ftp site and install
> the system from it.
>
> This is AFAIK possible with RedHat and SuSE linux, but not with Debian ( 2.1
> at least ).
>
> Am I missing something or is this featire to be added in some future version ?

It is possible. That's the way I installed my system. The only thing
is that you need to install base system, which takes 7 floppies IIRC,
and all the rest can be done via FTP. If you have a DOS partition, you
can download the base system in one file (under Windows or smth else),
copy it into the DOS partition, and then use it during
installation. This way you can get away with making only two floppies.

Read the installation section of the docs on the website for more
info.
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who