RE: problems forwarding X over SSH...

You could do it a little kludge-ily by adding the laptop's IP or actual
hostname in /etc/X0.hosts (you might possibly even be able to add
<laptophostname>.*

If you have to add it each time, you'll have to, obviously, restart xdm.
But it's certainly doable. Hope it helps?

Regards,

Glen

--
Glen S Mehn