Re: journaling filesystem

> does anyone have experience with installing ReiserFS? (or any other
> journaling filesystems?)

I don't, but the installation process is the same if you're going to
replace the HD that provided the root fs.

> what i'd like to do is
> 	a) booting from a disk
> 	b) dd my / to a free partition
> 	c) reformat my root-partition with ReiserFS
> 	d) dd the root-backup back to my root-partition

Sorry, won't work - dd makes an image of the entire disk, including file
system information.  The restore operation would wipe out the nice, new
ReiserFS file system and put your old root back in it's place, ext2 and
all.

This is what you need to do; I'm assuming you use lilo:
 a) tar / to a free partition
 b) reboot; at the lilo prompt boot your kernel, specifiying the backup
    file system as the root fs
 c) make the ReiserFS file system & restore the backup via tar
 d) reboot and instant ReiserFS.

If you don't use lilo or don't have a lilo boot prompt, DO NOT DO ANYTHING
until you know 200% what you're doing - you could royally screw up your
system if you're not careful.

> as of which kernel-version is RFS supported?

It's not in any of the standard kernels - you need to patch a kernel
>2.2.12 yourself.  2.3.x is not supported at this time.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein