Re: chroot()ing a user's login

Jim Breton writes:
 > I would if they weren't all in the same dir....  Plus lots of other useful
 > things like chmod.
 >
 > OTOH, anyone who did manage to hack an account with a restricted shell
 > wouldn't have any business running chmod, so I suppose you could get away
 > with just taking /bin out of his path.  But then I imagine you might run
 > into problems where the uid has to run shell scripts, then you're screwed
 > again.  :P hmmm.  I guess then you would have to put a copy of a shell
 > back in his path somewhere.
 >
 > At any rate I still haven't figured out why that account can't log in.
 > :-\
 >

 > On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Stuart Ballard wrote:
 >
 > > But with a restricted shell you can't run anything that isn't in your
 > > path, so just take all shells out of the path and bam, you're restricted
 > > again! :)

I've setup an account with

	- restricted shell => rbash
	- shell initialization files owned by root and readonly
(.bashrc, etc )

	- symlinked harmless binaries to /usr/local/bin

	- set PATH=/usr/local/bin in .bash_profile

That solved the functionality issue and a hope the security issue as
well.

Can someone tell me if not?

Felipe Alvarez Harnecker.  QlSoftware.

Tel. 09.874.60.17  e-mail: felipe.alvarez@qlsoft.cl