I have my own MTA, thank you very much

How do I convince Debian that I have my own MTA, thank you very much,
and it shouldn't attempt to install one of its own choosing?  Is there
a way to permanently fulfill a dependency by hand without installing a
package?  I'm not interested in having to tell dselect, dpkg, or apt
to ignore dependencies.  I want to tell them that I have fulfilled a
dependency via non-package means, and never be asked about that
dependency again.