Re: Problem forwarding X over ssh

hservoma@wis02.ec.t.kanazawa-u.ac.jp writes:
> Mark Santaniello <mas4042@ritvax.isc.rit.edu> wrote:
>
> >Right now, if I ssh to the machine, and attempt to run an X app...say
> >xterm...it gives this error:
>
> >_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 110
> >xterm Xt error: Can't open display: progression:10.0
>

> 1) From what machine to what machine (ssh versions etc) are you trying to
>    connect ?
> 2) Do you have access to /var/log/syslog or similar on both ends ?
>    See what gets written there when you try to connect.
> 3) Run ssh with the -v switch to get some more details and post them here.
>
> I had similar problems that were related to pam on RH6.1 boxes. I didn't
> get the above error message though...

I can't answer for Mark but I can say that I'm having the exact same
problem and haven't been able to track it down, and I had tried all of
your suggestions. I'm running ssh 1.2.27 (non-free in Debian) on both
the local machine (an SGI running IRIX 6.5) and my potato laptop.

There's nothing in the syslogs on either machine, that I can find.

Here's the output of ssh -v laptop:
% ssh -v laptop

SSH Version 1.2.27 [mips-sgi-irix6.5], protocol version 1.5.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
workstation: Reading configuration data /usr/people/glhenni/.ssh/config
workstation: ssh_connect: getuid 16202 geteuid 16202 anon 1
workstation: Connecting to saix3449 [134.253.68.52] port 22.
workstation: Connection established.
workstation: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version 1.2.27
workstation: Waiting for server public key.
workstation: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
workstation: Host 'saix3449' is known and matches the host key.
workstation: Initializing random; seed file /usr/people/glhenni/.ssh/random_seed
workstation: Encryption type: idea
workstation: Sent encrypted session key.
workstation: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
workstation: Received encrypted confirmation.
workstation: Connection to authentication agent opened.
workstation: Trying RSA authentication via agent with 'glhenni@workstation'
workstation: Received RSA challenge from server.
workstation: Sending response to RSA challenge.
workstation: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
workstation: RSA authentication accepted by server.
workstation: Requesting pty.
workstation: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
workstation: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
workstation: Requesting shell.
workstation: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Mon Dec 13 09:18:52 1999 from sasg955.sandia.gov
Linux laptop 2.2.13 #1 Fri Nov 12 18:13:21 /etc/localtime 1999 i686 unknown

And here's what happens when I try to start up an X application:

laptop% xclock
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 113
Error: Can't open display: laptop:11.0

That's it. From my workstation to other machines things work fine. It
seems only the Debian box is having problems.

Gary