Re: Digital cameras and Linux

*- On 12 Dec, Mike Werner wrote about "Re: Digital cameras and Linux"
> "(Ted Harding)" wrote:
>> It is worth considering a camera that can record the JPEG file directly
>> to a floppy disk -- either natively (the Sony Mavica was probably the
>> earliest to do it this way) or using a bit of clip-on kit which you
> <snip>
>> (The floppies used are in all cases -- as far as I know -- standard
>> DOS-formatted floppies straight out of the box).
>
> FWIW I have grabbed pics from a Mavica floppy with a Linux system.  I
> mounted the floppy as a regular DOS type floppy and just grabbed the
> .jpg's like any other.  The Mavica also creates a second file for every
> pic it makes - I don't remember the extension but that file has no use
> I've been able to figure out (probably something the camera uses
> internally).
>
> And the floppy that I had fed into the Mavica was a brand new never-used
> one straight out of the box.

They are the index files that it uses to display on the on-camera
screen.  The Mavica's also create an html file that lists the files so
that someone can open the list up in a web browser and view the
pictures.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.