Re: Digital cameras and Linux

I've had 2.  First a Kodak DC25 that worked well.  I ended up using
a combination of tools with a C proggy a gentleman wrote along time
ago.  It worked, but it wasn't pretty.

I now have an Olympus.  It's the second one.  The first one died
mysteriously (I think my son dropped it in the toilet).  My wife
was due with my second child any minute.  I called them, told them
it died and I needed it ASAP.  They told me as soon as I gave them
some sort of tracking # (I used USPS) they would ship me a new one.
I had bought a D340-L refurbished off pricewatch.  They were out
of refurbished 340L's and out of 340L's all together.  They sent
me a brand spanking New D340-R.  1280x1024, etc and even has a
2x digital zoom.  At any rate. I shipped out my old one that day,
called them with a tracking #.  2days later I had my new one.

I use gphoto (search on freshmeat) to download the pics in linux
and it works great.  I took some pictures to the Kodak place on a
floppy and printed them on their color Laser printer.  Then printed
them on my HP882C (in windows unfortunately).  Both are definitely
photo quality and worthy of sending to family for christmas.

The olympus with a 16Meg SmartMedia card ( ~ $40) holds 244 Pics
at 640x480 and 73 at 1280x1024.  I have an 8meg and 16Meg card.
Fill one, swap it.  Take the adapter (floppy or pcmcia) and plug it
in and just copy to your computer.

No I'm not getting commision or work for them.  I am just VERY
pleased with the quality and customer service.

Robert

Thus spake Neil Booth (NeilB@earthling.net):