Re: need help with modem

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 11:11:05AM -0500, Joe Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 04:19:59PM +0000, Robert Helmer wrote:
> > You can change the permissions on the device
> > ( /dev/ttyS0 or whatever ) make it writable by
> > the dialout group, and put the users who can use
> > the modem in the dialout group.
>
> Some of us use the "dip" group instead of "dialout".  What's the
> difference?

dip used to be the program ages ago that you setup a SLIP or PPP dial up
link with.  SLIP fell into disuse and so did dip.  I am supposing that
you are still using some legacy group name related to the dip program.
Makes no difference in the end.

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
A 'box' is something that accomplishes a task -- you feed in input and