Re: Digital cameras and Linux

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Neil Booth wrote:

> I'm considering buying a digital camera or videocam, but am concerned
> about being able to download the JPEG images to Linux.  Of course, the
> cameras come with a serial cable and software for downloading the
> images to Windows.
>
> Does anyone know if these cameras simply pass the JPEG data down the
> serial line, or is there some special camera-specific protocol they
> use (rendering it useless without special software)?  In the former
> case, how would I capture the data coming down the serial line?

As far as I know each camera (or family) of cameras will use its own
proprietry protocol which covers fetching thumbnails, deleting photos etc.
as well as just getting the JPEGs.  However, GPhoto (www.gphoto.org)
supports a fair number of cameras from different manufacuters, so I think
most of them are pretty open about their specs.  Personally I've got a
Kodak DC210 which cost me about 400ukp about a year ago, and works very
nicely; though it's probably equivalent feature-wise to about a 50 quid
compact, and has come down at least 100 quid since then!  But I think
that's generally the deal with digital cameras.

--
Matthew       ( http://www.soup-kitchen.demon.co.uk/ )