Re: Mail servers for large numbers of users

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Ronald Tin wrote:
> I am about to build a (group of?) e-mail server for
> a large number of users... more than 65536.
> Using Debian of course. :)
> It should include SMTP and IMAP. Users do not need to have
> login accounts.
> Probably I will be using Potato.
>
> What should I start with?
> Are there good open sourced MTA and IMAP servers that do not
> operate on system password accounts? (so I don't have to create
> 60000+ accounts)
>

> For now I will be trying to distribute the accounts on more
> than 1 server, set-up the DNS to have more than 1 MX, and
> forward the mails internally through SMTP for non-existent
> local users. Which MTA is good for this purpose?
> For ease of configuration I may be choosing exim, because
> this is what I have been using at home (it's the default MTA
> for Debian.. :)
> I see that exim can match user names with dbm/ldap lookups as
> well.. which may prove useful.
>
> What about qmail or postfix?
>

> Are there other precautions that I have to take care?
>
> Are there any other precautions?
>

> --
mailbox syncronization with external users POP3 accounts, SMTP mail exchanger
overrides.
It is written in C++ using gcc in Linux and Visual C++ in M$-Win and is full
GPL license.
This server is running in my Co. ( under NT ) from 6 months without give any
problems to us.
It works fine also on HPUX 9.x & 10.x.
I've implemented a file that contain all system dependent code to localize
portability.
I'm having a semaphore weird in Linux in which seems that if a task A creates
tasks B & C, C creates another task D, if B go to sleep on a semaphore and D
release the semaphore, B don't wakeup.
As soon as I've solved this problem I'll release the code ( say beta 0.1 ) on
FreshMeat.
Anyway if You 're interested I can make a snapshot for You.

Cheers,
	Davide.

--
"Debian, the freedom in freedom."