Re: Anyone using Mustek 1200ED Scanner with linux?

If this thing is a parallel port scanner it won't work with Linux.  Not
now, and not for a long time from now, if ever.

Most of these things emulate SCSI in some way over the parallel port to
the scanner - Windows sees a SCSI device; thus the scanning software does.
Some sort of transformation is done on the data stream (likely done by the
virtual SCSI driver before it's sent out over the parallel cable)
converting it into a form understandable by the scanner.  How precisely
that (the transformation) is done is an entire other matter, and the
biggest problem in getting them to work with Linux.

Just keep in mind that it's late and I'll be more coherent in about 7
hours...

> I would like to here from anyone using a Mustek 1200ED scanner with
> Linux. It works beautifully with Windows, but my productions system is
> Linux and I want to get it working there.
> Hardware setup is:
> extra parrallel ports added via a SIIG 2 PCI dual port card. I think the
> linux system recognizes them as ttyS1 and ttyS2 I am certain that ttyS0

The extra parallel ports should be recognized as lpt1 and lpt2.  ttyS* are
reserved for the serial driver.

> is the serial com port. It also recognizes lpt0, the onboard parrallel
> port, as parport0 because of the kernel config. My scanner is plugged
> into this SIIG2 card on ttyS0. The Lexmark printer is attached to the
> scanner. This is the correct setup for windows. Any suggestions for
> getting this working correctly are appreciated

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein