PowerStorm3D10 and XFree86.

Has anyone successfully set up XFree86 to run in 1280x1024 on a machine
with PowerStorm 3D10?

I have a DEC 200i. I beleive this machine has a PowerStorm 3D10 graphics
card, but I am not 100% sure. I am now running XFree86 at 800x600 in
8bpp with the SVGA server. It's running, but the display is small, and
the colors are awfull. I used to run Pro/ENGINEER on this machine when
windows was still on it, so I know for sure that the graphics card is
capable of more than what it is doing now.

According to SuperProbe the chipset is Cirrus CL-GD5430/40 with only 512
kb memory, but this would never suffice to run 1280x1024 in true colors,
as I did in windows. Thus, SuperProbe is obviously wrong.

I have read all the documentation and HOWTO, but I have still no clue
how to make it work. I have tried to set memory to 2048 in XF86Config,
and I ended up with a display looking like patchwork.........

Any help highly appreciated in either determining what graphics card I
actualy have, and/or in setting up XFree86 correct. BTW. I am running
Debian potato.