Re: gateway.net

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, William Burrow wrote:

> Ask them if they support Windows 3.1.  They will say words that can be
> mapped to something similar on Linux, you have to know what they are
> saying.  PAP and CHAP are key words.

Another alternative is to inspect the Windows 95 support.  If their setup
doesn't require any special scripts, you can usually set pppd to start
negotiating PAP as soon as it sees the modem connect.  Some ISPs insist on
CHAP, but they are silly.

> Are you going to find one that supports Linux?  Where?

They're out there - especially if you stay away from giant national ISPs.
Most smaller ISPs use Linux themselves and, if you can get to where you
can talk to someone clueful, you can almost always get them to tell you
what's up.  They won't walk you through step by step configuring pppd, but
they usually will give you a straight answer about what authentication to
use, etc.  The smaller the ISP, the more likely you are to get someone
clueful.  I used to run an ISP all by myself, and of course I supported
Linux, without which I would have been unable to run the ISP. :}