Re: Tulip network card not working

Jose Roberto de Chermont Teixeira <jroberto@redeglobo.com.br> writes:
> Does someone have already had problems with the DEC PCI Ethernet DC21142
> network card? I thought it was defective, but on Nt it works. I have
> isntalled Debian and FreeBSD to see what was the problem but both can't
> use them. The card is detected and the module correctly loads, but I
> have no network access. On a FreeBSD it displayed a message like "cable
> problem?". Only on NT it has worked, so it does not seem that the card
> is broken. Is there any parameter that I can insert in some file?

You might need to get an updated version of the driver. I believe the
one distributed with even the most recent version of the kernel is a
couple of versions behind what's available on the author's web
page. Take a look at:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

For information and source code for the driver, tulip.c

There's lots of info there for the tulip-based cards.

Of course if you do decide to get an updated the driver you'll have to
rebuild the kernel.

Gary