Re: I didn't mean to offend

> Brigette Heffner wrote:
>
> Ok, this is me...the one who posted "Why"...
> I didn't mean to offend anyone...(everyone).  I really want to use
> Linux and It's making me nuts.  We have it a school and I love it.

People are complaining that Linux (or Unixes for that matter) is
difficult to use (install) in the first time. Well, it is _much_ more
difficult than installing DOS. But IMHO, it's okay, because it has a lot
to offer (eg: Internet daemons).

> I have an ARM laptop with an AMD K6-3 450 Mhz processor, 196 MB RAM,
> 10 GB Hard Disk, 14.1" TFT XGA , ATI video with 4MB memory, Phoenix
> BIOS, and standart CDRom and Floppy.

I don't have laptops that run on Linux, but my desktop has an ATI card
on it. My X is running fine; it has Enlightenment (whoa, a click on the
mouse, and you have a different look of your desktop; something that
even a US$1K+ OS can't do) and Gnome. My only complaint is that the
refresh-rate used by the X server is slightly lower than expected, or in
other words, you have to sacrifice resolution or colors for refresh
rate. On Windows NT, the card can do 1280x1024/8bpp/76Hz. Using X, it is
restricted to 1024x768/16bpp/70Hz (ie: the X server can't be set on
1280x1024/even in 8bpp/70Hz).

> I have Mandrake, Debian 2.1, and Slackware 7 to choose from.  I can
> boot from CD.
> Mandrake:  does good until the end, can't config video.
> Slackware: Has a keyboard problem and hits a loop after booting
> the     kernal.
> Debian:  Didn't go there yet.

IMHO, try Debian and feel the ease of apt-get.

Oki