IP Masq not running?

I have a 2.2.12 kernel with IP Chains, IP Masq, diald, etc.  I have determined that the server never dials out, when one of the workstations tries to access the internet, unless I type in the command "ipmasq" at the server prompt.

I do have the file ipmasq in /etc/init.d (and in rcS.d, etc. as S41ipmasq), I have included the first portion of the file below.  I tried adding the line "/sbin/ipmasq" to this file, right below the line that starts out "test", but this had no effect.

What do I need to do to make the dialout process automatic?

------------IPMASQ-------------
#!/bin/bash
#
# ipmasq.init   Set up IP Masquerading for Debian systems
#
#               v3.0 19 July 1998

test -x /sbin/ipmasq || exit 1

case $1 in