Re: Using Computer Modern PS fonts with LaTeX?

* Jesse Jacobsen <jjacobsen@jvlnet.com> writes:

> Ah, yes.  I've been using ae with pdflatex.  I don't remember if that
> was a part of Slink's teTeX either.  Pdflatex makes a pdf directly

Yes, in tetex-extra.

>                         Images also must be included a bit
> differently.

Not at all! :-)

I hope everyone here uses the graphics package, and *not* obsolete
packages like epsfig or <shudder> epsf!

In current LaTeX releases (Slink's tetex is enough), the
graphics.cfg file has enough intelligence to know whether you are
compiling with latex or pdflatex, and gives the correct options to
\usepackage{graphicx}.

All you have to do is to give the figure name without file extension
(but you would have done this already if you had read the
/usr/doc/texmf/latex/graphics/epslatex.ps.gz doc).

The graphics backend driver now knows with what you are TeXing the
document, so it can go out and look for the file with an admissible
extension: for pdftex, it's .png, .pdf, .jpg and .mps (MetaPost),
whereas for dvips, its .eps, .ps, .eps.gz, .ps.gz and .eps.Z (found
out from the /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/*.def files).

If you are not satisfied with the priorities in which it chooses
files with identical basename (e.g. figure.pdf over figure.png),
use the \DeclareGraphicsExtension command (page 18 in epslatex.ps).

> Another font-related tweak I use is
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, but I don't know that it would make a
> difference for this issue.

Using ae sets up virtual fonts for CM that are encoded in T1 (note
that this has absolutely nothing to do with Type 1 fonts!). That is,
using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} would normally choose the Metafont EC
fonts, for which there are no PS Type 1 equivalents available. ae
now "maps" the *CM* Type 1 fonts to have T1 encoding.

If you are only setting 7bit ASCII texts, T1 encoding gives no real
benefit, but for us others it allows proper hyphenation in words
with umlauts and such.

(Your extra \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} does nothing here, as ae already
sets this internally).

Fighting against epsf,
  Colin