Re: linux.debian.user gatewayed no more?

cfelling@news.IAEhv.nl (Carel Fellinger) wrote:
>I could switch to the digest of the mailinglist but I prefer news.
>I could bridge the mailinglist locally, but I heard that you object.

Do they?

I have mail2news set up locally; I wouldn't read debian-* if I hadn't.
I've been intending to learn to use a better mail reader than Pine for
ages (probably mutt), but I haven't got round to it, and I can't read
this sort of list unthreaded.

All I did was newgroup a few moderated groups on my local news server
and write a few mildly demented lines of exim filter (available upon
request, if people don't want to write their own). The only problems I
had were when a couple of error messages accidentally bounced to
debian-user-request :( - fortunately, they didn't seem to go to
debian-user. Remember to actually test your filter files before
installing them and you should be OK.

I haven't got news2mail working yet, largely due to lack of time and
inclination; I'm quite happy to use reply by mail and let a custom bit
of my trn $MAILHEADER variable set the headers up properly.

I can imagine there being objections to the possibility of lots of
errors bouncing to debian-user, but I'm afraid that I'll probably leave
my mail2news gateway running now. It can't be a global ban anyway - I
know that Ian Jackson gateways bits of debian-*, though he may be a
special case due to being a lot more competent than most. :)

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science         [riva.ucam.org]