Re: Netstd reorganization

George Bonser writes:
> But the dependancies need to change.  I want rwho on one system but I do
> NOT want rwhod on it. I want rsh but I do NOT want rshd. Separating the
> clients from the daemons would be a good idea ... netstd-client and
> netstd-server would be better.

All those services used to be in netstd.  The decision was made to get rid
of it and break them out into seperate packages.  That's fine for new
installs, but what about upgrades?  If netstd just vanished the stuff that
was in it would never get upgraded, since those new packages containing
stuff broken out from netstd were never installed.

The solution is a dummy netstd package.  It contains nothing and nothing
depends on it, but it depends on the packages containing stuff that used to
be in it.  The result is that when you upgrade you get the new empty netstd
and it pulls in the new packages that contain stuff it used to contain.

Once you have upgraded netstd you can remove it.  The description says:

    Legacy package that you should remove.
    This package exists only to provide smooth upgrades.  Please remove it.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org