Re: Slink, Redhat, Windows boot from lilo?

Brad wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 11:46:46AM -0600, ktb wrote:
> > I've looked through the archives, lilo documentation and howtos.  I'm
> > either not understanding this or am not seeing what I need.  I have
> > windows 95 on hda.  Slink and Redhat 6.0 are on hdb.  Slink's bootable
> > root partition is on hdb3 and Redhat's is on hdb1.  I have lilo
> > installed now through Redhat.  The condensed lilo.conf is:
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
> >     lable=redhat
> >     root=/dev/hdb1
> >
> > other=/dev/hda1
> >     lable=95
> >     table=/dev/hda
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
> >     lable=slink
> >     root=/dev/hdb3
> >
> > As it is I can boot to all three os's but the kernel I have compiled for
> > Slink is 2.0.36.  When I boot from lilo into Slink at this point it
> > doesn't boot my custom kernel, which is not surprising since lilo.conf
> > says "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15."  I changed that line to read,
> > "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36" but then I get an error when I run
> > /sbin/lilo that that file doesn't exist.  So what do I do here?  Do I
> > copy my Slink kernel to /usr/src on the Redhat side?
>
> Try mounting the slink partition (e.g. as /mnt/slink) and changing the
> slink image line to something like "image=/mnt/slink/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36"
>
> I've never tried this myself, but it should work. Even if it doesn't
> work, it won't hurt anything to try.

Well I tried adding that line and it didn't work.  When I boot into
Slink off the HD it set me up with the Redhat kernel, not my custom
Slink kernel.  This is the error I got when I ran lilo after the change
in /etc/lilo.conf:

Added redhat *
Added 95
open /mnt/slink/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36 No such file or directory.

I think what I'm going to do for the time being is set the mbr on the
windows HD back to what it was, floppy into the Slink side and rerun
lilo so it boots off the HD and use a floppy to boot Redhat.  I tried
setting up lilo from Slink before but it didn't erase what lilo from
Redhat had done.  There has to be a way to boot these three oss though.
Thanks,
kent