Re: Why

> My guess is that the windows install probably uses the same
> lowest-common-denominator graphics mode (it looks like it to me) regardless
> of video hardware and the Linux X-based setup is using different modes
> during setup, dependent upon which video card it thinks it detects.  The
> Windows-based setup doesn't go into card-specific graphic modes until
> installation is done.  If this is the case then the x-based setup routines
> should be written for a standard 640x480x16 mode, regardless of which video
> hardware is detected during setup, no?...

This is exactly what I was thinking. The windows installer uses a generic
16-color, 640x480 mode ("Standard SVGA" or just "Standard VGA"?) and
I've never heard of anyone having graphic-card related problems with it.
Why can't someone do something similar with Linux? Is that what Corel
did?

--
Bart Szyszka bart@gigabee.com ICQ:4982727
B Grafyx http://www.bgrafyx.com