Q: Where to configure things in slink/potato

Hello,

Having installed slink (twice) and upgraded to potato (twice) I'm
wondering if somebody can give pointers to the appropriate tools/files
to change for configuring different utilities. I have been running
redhat since 5.0 to 6.1+ with rawhide. For rpm-based distributions I
am rather confident in configuring, either changing the appropriate
files or using linuxconf (not preferred). I'm also running the
rpm-based Mandrake 6.1 and and Suse 6.2. For suse you also have the
yast tool available.

However, learning more about GNU/Linux I thought it was time to
also install Debian. I have been waiting for the potato release for a
long time now, and when the release was delayed until next year I
decided to go for slink and upgrade. The installation took a VERY long
time, especially when things are installed and configured in the same
session.

Personally I think you should separate installation from configuration
into different parts. The configuration could be made mandatory, but
not until you have a bootable base system (HD and floppy) up and
running. Also some kind of tree structure for configuring the
different tools could be usable, the most important parts are
configured first, and so on.

In order to speed up the installation many of the configuration
questions were answered with not-so-well-thought-out-answers by
me. So, which tools to use/files to change for configuring:

1. Kernel modules
2. Daemons
3. Networking
4. Sound
5. X windows
6. Window managers
7. Printers
8. ppp/modem
9. Mail
10. User accounts
11. File systems/external drives
12. Runlevel dependant scripts, ...
13. What did I forget ...

PS.
- I really like the apt-get upgrade utility. dpkg is OK. dselect on the
  other hand is not very user friendly.
- My questions sent to this list have been so far answered with very
  informative and competent answers. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
svante.signell@telia.com