Re: I have decided to give Sawmill a try, but............

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:00:19AM -0500, Tam Than Ma wrote

> As of right now, I have decided to give Sawmill a try since many people
> recommended it. But my Debian Box doesn't have internet access so I can't
> download or use apt-get to get sawmill online. So how do I go about doing
> this? Can I download the Sawmill package and all its dependant packages on
> floopies from my brother's machine(which uses window 98 :(  )and use apt-get
> to install those packages from floopies on my Debian box?. I wonder if this
> is a good idea because my brother's box is a win98 machine and don't know if
> a apt-get would recognize the files(maybe it could, I don't know, I am kinda
> new to linux). Help me out one more time here guys...And thanx for all your
> recommendations, I appreciate it.
>

> Tam

That depends on what you mean by "All its dependencies".
The current sawmill package in potato comprises sawmill,
rep, rep-gtk and librep2, which collectively should *easily*
fit onto a single floppy.  There are many other, more common
dependencies, which you can probably satisfy if you have a
working Debian system: libgtk, libgnorba, zlib1g, libjpeg62, etc.

Since you'd be carrying just a few packages from one machine to
another I'd use dpkg rather than apt-get:
  dpkg -i sawmill*.deb rep*.deb librep2*.deb
or something like that.  Saves having to fetch or build Packages
files for a non-networked machine.

If you're not running potato, you can also build it from source:
the source archive is under 400Kb.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au