Potato locked up on shutdown - processes still running

Hi,
For a few months now, I have had the error message - `/dev/hda4 busy -
mounted ro' (hda4 is my /var) after all partitions are unmounted on
shutdown. I haven't worried about it too much up until now.

After running for about 20 days and then shutting down, init froze with
`processes still running' (or something similar) before unmounting any
drives (actually before saving random seed I think). I could switch
consoles, but init had stopped most services so I couldn't log in.

The following few shutdown -r now's worked as before (with the hda4
busy).

I am running potato on a 2.2.12 kernel with Hedrick's
ide.2.2.12.19990925 patch. Unfortunately one critical (for me) part
of this patch didn't make it into 2.2.13 so I don't want to upgrade yet.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Regards,
Mark.