Re: Atari ST as Dumb Terminal

> Hi all,
>
> I wish to connect my old Atari ST to my linux box running slink with a serial
> cable and use it basically as a dumb terminal.

Fair enough.

> Could someone please point me in the direction of some useful documentation as
> to how to do this.

This is the relevant portion of /etc/inittab on my workstation:

[...]
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
[...]

Dont forget to restart init ('kill -1 1', or just reboot if that's less
harrowing) when you're done.  It won't work otherwise.

> Also does anyone know what software would be required on the Atari to
> be able to do this

On the Atari, all you need is a program that speaks VT100 (or ANSI or VT52
or VT220 or...) over the serial port.  Something that can use the modem
will work just fine; I like to user kermit (don't know if it's available
on an Atari).  Just make sure that the terminal program is set for:

 * 8 bits
 * no parity
 * 1 stop bit
 * the baud rate matches what you have in /etc/inittab.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein