Re: Having apt-get mount -o remount,rw/ro /usr

On 3/12/99 Shaul Karl wrote:

It seems to me that the mount -o remount,rw/ro /usr feature of apt-get is not
working.
Am I correct?

from my experience no.

Can someone who have managed to do it can tell me how it is done?

my /etc/apt/apt.conf:

DPkg
{
// Auto remount readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
}

works for me (TM)

note that as someone pointed out to me, if a package overwrites a file that is in use you will not be able to remount /usr readonly again until the file is closed. so remounting read write always works but remounting read only again after the install/update may fail.

I use latest potato YMMV.

Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/