Re: Q about netscape 4.7 and slink

Hello Alice,

to install/run netscape 4.7 from the downloaded tar.gz file you don't need
any of the Debian netscape packages. Here are the steps I did to install
it on my machine:

1. copy the netscape 4.7 tar.gz file to /tmp
2. unpack the file: cd /tmp; tar xvzf netscape 4.7 tar.gz
3. change to the newly created subdirectory of /tmp
4. run the installation script: ./ns-install (the only question you have to
   answer is the target directory to which you want to install the files,
   e.g. /opt/netscape, /usr/local/netscape or anything you like; see also
   the file 'README.install' in the same directory)
5. to run netscape 4.7 the MOZILLA_HOME environment variable should be set
   to the target directory from step 4. I've placed the following starting
   script 'netscape' in /usr/local/bin (but you can also set the variable
   in the init script of your shell, e.g. ~/.bashrc, place the netscape
   directory in your path and start it with the command 'netscape'):

   #!/bin/bash
   # /usr/local/bin/netscape: wrapper for Netscape Navigator 4.7

   MOZILLA_HOME="/opt/netscape"

   if [ -x ${MOZILLA_HOME}/netscape ]; then
           ${MOZILLA_HOME}/netscape
   fi

6. to add netscape to the Debian menu (e.g. under fvwm2 when you click
   with the left mouse button on the root window/desktop) you
   can place the following menu-entry file 'netscape-menu' in /etc/menu:

   # /etc/menu/netscape-menu: menu entry for Netscape Navigator 4.7
   ?package(local.netscape):\
           needs="x11"\
	   section="Apps/Net"\
	   title="netscape"\
	   longtitle="Netscape Navigator 4.7"\
	   command="/usr/local/bin/netscape"
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (adjust for your start method)
   and run 'update-menus'. After restarting the windowmanager there will
   be a new menu entry 'netscape' under Apps/Net.

Bye
Andreas