setting up network for @home account

Okay.  I recently got a cable modem through bresnan@home. I'm pretty
sure that I have the ethernet card installed properly, but I'm lost
about what to do next!  I have a static IP address with a net mask, a
gateway address, a host name and a domain name, and a pair of server
addresses.  Everything that I've seen online says that the rest of my
job is easy and that all I have to do is go into the RedHat system
configuration utility and enter the above information.  How can I set up
my Debian box?  All I need to do is run Netscape, Bitchx, and the like.

Please help me out here... I don't understand networking at all!  Thanks
in advance.

John