Re: firewalls and bsd

> I have discovered a fair amount of BSD advocacy
> turned "anti-Linux".
> Like Linux zealots, BSDers are not above snobbery.

I think both groups need to be open minded, we all
have something we can learn from each other.  Alas,
the BSD licences would allow linux to 'borrow' or
'steal' good stuff from BSD, but the reverse would not
be allowed by the GPL, without forcing it's 'virus' on
BSD.  (That in itself could be a root cause of
anti-linux snobbery by BSD'ers).  I guess linux still
makes a better workstation os (though there are things
in the BSD use of disks that linux could use) and BSD
works well closer to the net's main plumbing.

I am thinking of getting some 'bsd cd's and exploring
it for use as a firewall system to go between my
future isdl (waiting for flashcom) connection and my
home lan.  I have two win95 boxes and a debian-slink
box on the lan now.  Guess cheapbyte's bsd sampler
(netbsd, openbsd, freebsd) for $14 would be a good
place to start.  They don't offer the latest version
of open or free (2.5 and 3.2), but guess that's close
enough.

I have a P100 with 32m ram and 2g disk available, have
two dec 21041 based pci lan cards on order.  Guess
that's enough iron for the job.  Once the software is
installed I suppose the box can be headless and
handless (no monitor or kb) and be administered over
the internal lan via ssh or something.  (So I can hide
it in a closet).

Thanks for any advise!

Ken.

=====