How do I turn off a hosts request?

Several weeks ago I discovered that my server, running Debian 2.0.36, is
making repeated udp requests to a nonexistent port on another server. The
iptraffic log looks like this:

Mon Nov 22 15:26:59 1999: UDP  from cepa.newschool.:1253 to
A032156.N1.Vand:doma
in on eth0

I can't figure out how to stop this. Rebooting doesn't work. The man pages
on hosts says that there is a hosts option for "infinite" retries, with a
default time of 10 seconds, and this looks like what is going on. But it
doesn't say anything about how to stop an "infinite" retry, or where the
request is stored that triggers this off.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Duncan Foley
Duncan K. Foley